Nintendo's pulling the plug on Wii online

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Budule, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Budule

Budule What would Kratos do?

Nintendo is phasing out the Wii, the little champ that sold by the 100 million load, in favour of the Wii U. The Japanese gaming giant is shutting down Wii services too, announcing it will be closing many online features on 20 May. That means some of the best Wii multiplayer games are about to die, including these fan favourites....

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Kart Wii

Animal Crossing: Let’s Go To The City

Mario Strikers: Charged Football

Excitebike World Rally

Pokémon Black and White

Advance Wars: Dark Conflict

And it’s not just Wii games losing online functionality on 20 May ,the Nintendo DS loses its web on the same day. Id say better get busy and get your fill now , sad to see things go ......
  2. Wickett

Wickett Administrator

While this is sad to an extent, let's be honest here. Brawl's online sucked the day it came out and never got better. Animal Crossing isn't getting near the traffic now that New Leaf is out, and I doubt the rest of them are really being used that much at this point. I'm glad to hear the Wii U is getting more support.
  3. Budule

Budule What would Kratos do?

Agreed , and maybe this will "prod" some people to upgrade to the Wii U , but many (some that didn't even use it ) will whine about it im sure....
  4. Wickett

Wickett Administrator

There are still people who don't even realize the Wii U is a new console, so maybe this will open their eyes a little.
  5. EnzoTen

EnzoTen Member

When i had a Wii and a DS and a 3DS i never added any friends since friend codes were a total pain. Is this improved on the Wii U? if so good riddance to the old and on with the new...
  6. Wickett

Wickett Administrator

They're gone. Once you add a friend to your console (which is by their username) any games that you have in common will automatically show. It also lets you know when a friend comes online. That varies some with the game, but with CoD Ghosts for example, a window will appear letting you know the friend is online. From there, you can send an invite to that friend.

The Nintendo Network is considerably better than it used to be, but in all honesty I haven't played enough online games yet to really judge it's overall performance.